Friday, June 06, 2008

losing likeness

she's slipping.

trying to fasten her grip is no help and each grope for a better hold is a waste. Fully stretched out, her arms don't quite reach half way around the massive globe she hopelessly clings too. the surface of which provides no respite thanks to its smooth texture.

"how long can she last?", I wonder. and her attempts at repositioning finally fail and she drops down, down, down, out of sight.

I scream up at him, "this isn't love!". and i feel barren after losing another. i don't know if he hears me. i can't see if he's there.
But he's given me unattainable obstacles to overcome. and i hate him for it. hate/love/hate/love.

stripped of my final attempt, i feel exposed and dangling. i have been all of the girls whom i have sacrificed. and with each, i've lost a bit of myself.

i loved him, but he wouldn't listen. i wonder why i've been left to survive, while so much of me has fallen into the unknown. abandoned by me because if it's lack of this, or inability to do that.

i think of the other girls who seem to have sacrificed so little to win him. i imagine my likeness out there unable to hold her grasp, succumbing to Odyssey below.

it is on this ledge that i stand, one hundred and twelve point five milligrams at a time, firmly away from the edge. i too could fall, slip, or slide, all the way back down into the unknown. or perhaps the 'all too familiar'. but it's not like that now. as bad as it is, this defeat is fleeting, and only at times, overwhelming.

Despite my armor, intelligence, and charm, I was unable to find the key. "we had a dog name Zelda once", i offer. but none of that matters now.

As i'm lost in thought, the booming voice above announces, "the game is over". let down, i step back. lay down my sword. and wonder how the voice of one can chime out so many others.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home